Wednesday, April 04, 2007

You want to know WHAT?

Thank you, Julia, for the interview questions.

If you would like to be interviewed, go ahead - leave a comment with your email address and I'll send you some questions...

1. What does blogging do for you?

It helps me to exercise my brain in a way that I don’t get to exercise it at work or in other areas of my life. It gives me a place to vent when I need it. It allows me to make a difference in the lives of others – and it affords me the opportunity to feel my burdens eased by the support of others. It permits me to be a bit self-indulgent and egocentric - and, I guess, a bit selfless and humble all at the same time.

2. Do you have any tattoos? If so, what of and what do they represent? If not, would you?

I have several. There is one on my back; a fairy-looking butterfly stolen from the pages of this book:



It was the first tattoo I ever got. For me it represents who I was at that exact moment in life – someone who lived in the moment, someone who appreciated beauty, someone who was looking for an awakening. In that tattoo I still feel all the uncertainty that was in my heart and my head about who I really was – and what I really wanted out of life. It reminds me that I will always be a work in progress – a changing being – and it brings me back to a point where I relished being just that.

The one on my neck is an AIDS ribbon. I had it done after one of my best high school friends died of AIDS related complications in 1999.

My largest piece is along my clavicles and on my breast plate. It was something I got after my father’s dad passed away. It’s a vine of forget me nots that hold up a claddagh. The claddagh design was drawn by the artist from a ring my grandfather had given me when I was a girl; the forget me nots remind me of his presence in my life – even after he’d left us.

This photos shows it very well:



There is one more that I don’t want to talk about.

3. Is what you do for a living what you'd do if money weren't an issue? If not, what would you rather do?

Yes. I’d either be doing what I’m doing or something very close to it. Of course, if money were no issue – I think I’d like to go back to school – maybe get a Masters Degree and try my hand at teaching philosophy or writing. Ah, but money IS an issue.

4. What is your all-time, number one, desert island favourite book/album/movie?

The book would be The Treasured Writings of Khalil Gibran.

The album would either be Bob’s band The McGunks Here Comes the Shame or Darkbuster’s 22 Songs You’ll Never Want to Hear Again – the final answer would depend on whether Bob was with me on the island or not – if he was, I’d take Darkbuster’s album instead of his.

The movie would be Caddy Shack. (Yeah, I said it.)

5. What's the most money you've ever spent on any one item? (not including a car or house)
Home computer – Digital Camera? It’s a toss up – I think I spent equally on each of these things…

5 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Very cool.

I really appreciated your description of what blogging does for you.

The tattoos sound like they are very meaningful to you too. I think that is very special. I only have the one tattoo now, but many more in my brain that I'll have done when I can afford it.

Major Bedhead said...

Thanks, Nicole!

Caddy Shack, huh? Heh. I love that movie. "Hello, ball." That movie is why I can't play golf without cracking up. Well, that and I suck.

Nicole P said...

Did you get a bowl of soup with that hat?

Ay, but it looks Ok on you though...

Awesome...

:)

Kassie said...

Heavy stuff's not comin' for another hour :)

DUDE my word verifcation code is wahua! I kid you not. I think that's the name of the island we'll all go to with our books, music, and movies :)

If not a mother... said...

I am gathering interview questions for one big post.

ha.

yeah, so dreaming dot montana at gmail dot com